Skip to Main Content
  1. Homepage
  2. Help and advice
  3. Landlords
  4. What is landlord boiler cover?

What is landlord boiler cover?


If you're a landlord and wondering whether you need landlord boiler cover, or if it's even worth it, we're here to help make up your mind. Taking out landlord boiler cover is essential to make sure your tenants stay warm and cosy and avoid those unexpected boiler breakdowns. Boiler cover, also known as gas boiler cover or boiler breakdown cover, is a type of insurance that protects your boiler if it were to breakdown or encounter a fault. If something was to go wrong with the boiler, the boiler cover will help cover the costs of engineer call outs and labour, as well as an annual boiler service, which is vital to keep the manufacturer warranty valid and the boiler in full working order.

Do I need landlord boiler cover? Is landlord boiler cover worth it?

As a landlord, it'll be your responsibility to cover the costs associated with a broken or faulty boiler, as well as arranging for an engineer to sort the issue. Your tenants won't be able to take out boiler cover themselves or arrange the repair themselves, which is why cover is also important in your absence. With your permission and with cover in place, the tenant may be able to arrange an engineer call out or repair if the boiler was to break down in your absence. If you already have landlord home insurance, you may have boiler cover in place as part of your buildings and contents insurance.

Most modern boilers will come bundled with a manufacturer warranty of up to 10 years depending on the installer. If you've chosen an installer that's approved by the manufacturer, you're more likely to have your boiler protected by an extended warranty. If you're looking to install a Vaillant or Worcester Bosch boiler, keep a lookout for Vaillant Advanced and Worcester Accredited Installers to take full advantage of an extended warranty. If the boiler is older than 15 years, you may have to pay more for cover as it's more likely that the boiler will break down due to its age. Some cover products will also have specific terms around whether they can cover you if the boiler has already broken down.

At this point, you're probably wondering, what's the point in landlord boiler cover if I have a manufacturer warranty? Your boiler's manufacturer warranty shouldn't be the only thing you rely on if your boiler was to run into a fault or break down. The warranty is only there to cover you if your boiler fails or breaks down within a certain number of years. However, if the fault or breakdown is caused by physical damage or limescale, this may void your warranty. It's important to double check your manufacturer warranty to double check what is actually covered.

Landlord boiler cover takes the stress out of boiler breakdowns and repairs. You'll avoid having to pay a large sum of money to repair your boiler, as well as a regular annual service scheduled to keep your manufacturer warranty valid. With the cover you'll also get access to a helpline, unlimited call outs, and the added bonus of repairs to the boiler's controls should they develop a fault. With cover, it's always best to double check you're getting the best deal possible.

What's the difference between homeowner boiler cover and landlord boiler cover?

Boiler cover for a homeowner will usually include repairs for both your boiler and controls, an annual boiler service, and several call outs included in the monthly price. The main difference with landlord boiler cover is that you'll get a Landlord Gas Safety Record, which is a legal document that shows that you have had your gas appliances checked annually.

Important Information

Some providers offer insured plans to look after your Boiler and Heating and other home services like plumbing, drains and electrics, whereas other providers offer non-insured plans. An insured plan will be underwritten by an insurer and also regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Non-insured plans are not backed by an insurer and are not regulated by the FCA. Often non-insured or maintenance plans include an annual service of the equipment covered, whereas these may or may not be included in insured plans.

Landlord cover plans

Enjoy peace of mind with our comprehensive boiler, heating and home cover plans for Landlords

Get A Quote
Cover Product - Home Image

Landlord boiler cover vs Central heating cover

The differences between landlord boiler and central heating cover can be confusing, especially while a boiler is part of the wider central heating. As a general rule of thumb, boiler cover will only cover your boiler and controls, while central heating cover is for your boiler, controls, radiators, pipework and cylinder. Central heating system cover is typically referred to as boiler and heating cover as it covers more than just the boiler.

What landlord boiler cover do I need?

Most landlord boiler cover packages will offer the same thing. The main things to look out for are the number of call outs included as part of the package and how much you'll need to pay, whether the helpline is available 24/7 and if you can schedule repairs for evenings and weekends. The most crucial factor to consider when choosing any cover is making sure that it's suitable for your needs. Some policies may only cover a certain number of repairs and breakdowns in a year, while others will include an unlimited number of call outs in the price. It's important to compare landlord boiler cover before you decide on which package to go for.

What is an annual service visit?

To ensure that your boiler's warranty remains valid, an annual boiler service is needed for regular checks. Your gas boiler should be serviced once a year by a Gas Safe engineer, which will include a visual check of the boiler and controls, as well as an inspection of the internal components of the boiler to ensure it's firing correctly and not in poor condition. Most landlord boiler cover packages will come with an annual service, free of charge, as well as a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate.

What is excess? And do I have to pay for it?

Excess is a charge you may have to pay for an engineer to visit your property and fix your boiler. Some cover packages will include the excess in their monthly price, while others may charge you around £50 for each engineer call outs.

Can I switch to a different cover provider?

Switching from one provider to another is a lot easier than you may think. You don't need to stick with the same provider year after year, and you could make a quick saving. Before you switch, it's essential to check the terms and conditions of your existing cover package to ensure that you're not stung with a sizeable cancellation fee. You can wait until your policy expires, which is usually 12 months from the date you took out your plan. Otherwise, you can pay the cancellation fee if you're unhappy with your existing policy.

Never forget your LGSR again

Your Landlord Gas Safety Certificate and annual boiler service all included with our cover plans for Landlords

Get A Quote
Cover Product - Home Image

You may also like


What is a Landlord Gas Safety Record?

Learn more

What is drainage cover?

Learn more

What is central heating cover?

Learn more