What is home emergency cover
If you are unlucky enough to experience a home emergency as the temperatures drop this autumn, have you got adequate home cover protection to avoid being left without heating and hot water?
What is home emergency cover and do you need it?
The idea of home emergency cover is that it protects against adverse events that may occur in your home. Home emergency cover differs from home insurance that protects your home’s contents against damage. Before you decide if you need home emergency cover or home insurance emergency cover, it is vital to know what the cover includes and protects.
- Home cover protects your boiler, controls and flue. Some cover providers base the price of cover on the boiler’s age, while others include all boilers of different ages and makes.
- If the original boiler is not repairable, many home care cover packages offer a discount on the cost of a new boiler. This may sometimes exclude older boilers. Sometimes, if the boiler is not economically fixable, home emergency cover packages offer a free boiler. This is usually only valid for a promotional period, and not applicable to older boilers. Remember to read the small print.
- An annual boiler service is included, which checks that your boiler is correctly installed and running efficiently and safely,
- Central heating cover extends the protection to include cylinders, central heating pipework and radiators. Essentially, it covers everything that makes up a central heating system in addition to the boiler, controls and flue that is liable to breakdown and may need repairing.
Gas supply pipework
- The pipe that supplies gas from the gas meter to gas appliances in the property
- Plumbing cover protects all the pipework and fittings in the property, in addition to the central heating system pipework and fittings, from leaks.
- Any leaks occurring on the water supply pipe that brings water into the property.
- Electrical cover includes repairing faults found with the mains electrics in the property including circuits fuse boards, light fittings and sockets.
- In many home emergency cover packages this only covers electrics inside the property, even if there are main electrics outside.
- Drainage cover protects drains and waste pipes against blockages.
Some home emergency cover packages also include domestic appliances. This includes breakdown cover for domestic appliances, such as washing machines, tumble dryers, cookers and dishwashers. Cover for your appliances may be useful especially if your white goods are old and need regular maintenance and repair.
Protecting your plumbing and drainage
Cover for plumbing and drainage is a common part of home cover. Plumbing and drainage insurance normally covers the following parts of your plumbing and drainage systems:
- Supply of water into the property
- Stopcock (controls the supply of water into the property
- Plumbing (pipework and fittings) and drainage from the property.
- Burst pipes, leaks and problems with the water supply pipe.
If you already have an existing boiler or central heating cover but would like to have your non-central heating plumbing and drainage covered against leaks and blockages, this may be the type of policy for you.
Home emergency insurance
Home emergency insurance and home emergency cover are similar in terms of coverage and used interchangeably by many providers. Both terms cover policy or package to protect against adverse events that may affect certain services like boilers, central heating, plumbing, drainage or electrics within your property. The only distinction is that some house insurance policies have a home emergency element, as part of a wider buildings and contents insurance policy, see above, and this may cover different things to a bespoke home emergency cover package or home emergency insurance policy.
Is home emergency cover for you?
So, if you decide to invest in home emergency cover, who offers the best deal in terms of cost and coverage?
Hometree’s home care is competitive in both cost and coverage, with a £0 call-out charge option, and payable either annually or monthly. A landlord home cover package is also available from Hometree, and is competitive in terms of price and comprehensiveness; giving tenants protection from the home emergencies and landlords for unexpected breakdown bills.
For more information about our home emergency cover packages, give the team a call or get a quote online today.