Skip to Main Content
  1. Homepage
  2. Help and advice
  3. Landlords
  4. What is landlord home emergency cover?

What is landlord home emergency cover?


As a landlord, you are legally required to maintain the structure and exterior of your rented property. This includes all installations for the supply of water, gas, electricity, heating systems, drainage and sanitary appliances.

When things go wrong, repairs get costly. And it’s not your tenants that will have to foot the bill, it’s you. This is why we highly recommend taking out landlord home emergency cover.

Read on to find out exactly what’s included and how to choose a good care plan.

What does landlord home emergency cover include?

There are a lot of different companies out there offering home emergency cover for landlords. Some will offer more, some will offer less, and this will be reflected in the costs of their plans. As standard, you should be looking for a plan that includes the following:

Landlord boiler cover - If the boiler in your rented property was to breakdown or encounter a fault, you would be covered for the call-out charge and its repairs (up to a certain limit.) The cover should also extend to your boiler and heating controls, including thermostats, programmers, valves and pumps.

A good landlord home emergency insurance policy will include an annual boiler service. As a landlord, you are legally required to have the boiler in your rented property inspected by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. You will also need to obtain a Landlord Gas Safety certificate and keep your record up to date.

The boiler service is a good opportunity for engineers to spot and fix any little issues with your boiler before they cause bigger problems for you and your tenants.

Wider central heating cover - Landlord home emergency cover will provide protection for the wider central heating system in your rented property too. This includes repairs to your radiators, cylinders and valves.

Plumbing and drainage insurance - This includes repairs of burst pipes, broken toilets and leaking stopcocks, as well as blocked drains and toilets. All of these things can be an inconvenience to your tenants and even cause damage to your rented property. It’s therefore, well-worth having plumbing and drain insurance to save on costs and benefit from timely access to expert help.

Home electrics cover - Last but not least, your landlord home emergency cover should include home electrics. Whether your tenant has a broken light switch, a damaged socket or trouble with the fuse box, you can benefit from the help of experienced electricians, without having to worry about the cost of the call-out and repairs.

As we said before, some home emergency insurance plans may offer extensive cover for other parts of your rented property, like the roof. Decide if this is something you need when choosing a policy.

How much does landlord cover cost?

The cost of landlord home emergency cover will vary from one company to the next. With this in mind, we recommend shopping around and gathering quotes to make sure you get the best deal. Use comparison websites to make the task quicker and easier.

However, when choosing home emergency insurance, landlords shouldn’t just consider the cost. There are a whole host of other factors to consider, which we have listed in the section below.

Important Information

Some providers offer insured plans to look after your Boiler and Heating and other home services like plumbing, drains and electrics, whereas other providers offer non-insured plans. An insured plan will be underwritten by an insurer and also regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Non-insured plans are not backed by an insurer and are not regulated by the FCA. Often non-insured or maintenance plans include an annual service of the equipment covered, whereas these may or may not be included in insured plans.

Landlord cover plans

Enjoy peace of mind with our comprehensive boiler, heating and home cover plans for Landlords

Get A Quote
Cover Product - Home Image

Tips to find the best home emergency cover for landlords

Check what’s covered

First and foremost, find out what the cover includes. Does it meet your needs? Good landlord cover should accommodate a broad range of potential home emergencies.

Enquire about contractors

Most landlord home emergency cover providers will have an approved list of contractors in your local area that they will use for their policyholders' repair work. It’s best if the cover provider organises the contractors on your behalf. It’s much less hassle and it’ll give you peace of mind you have access to experienced, qualified and trustworthy experts.

Find out what costs are covered

Make sure you know exactly what costs are covered by your landlord care plan i.e. call out charges, labour costs, materials. Is there a limit to how much you can claim? Does the landlord home emergency cover include a replacement if your boiler cannot be repaired or a financial contribution towards the cost of a new boiler? Are there any excess fees to pay? Choose a package that offers you the best deal.

Ask about benefits

To encourage you to choose their landlord home emergency cover plan, many providers will offer some sort of incentive or deal. For example, boiler cover no excess charges or a free annual boiler service and Landlord Gas Safety Record (something we offer here at Hometree offers across our landlord boiler cover, heating cover and home care plans.) Choose a plan that will help you save the most money in the long run.

See if there’s a 24/7 helpline

When emergency strikes, you need to be able to respond quickly, in order to help your tenants and ensure they can continue living comfortably in the property they rent from you. With this in mind, you’re best choosing a home emergency cover provider that has a 24/7 helpline. This means you’ll be able to make a claim at any time of day or night and have access to the expert help you need quickly. It’ll help to prevent extensive damage to your property and keep your tenants happy - win-win!

Save money and get total peace of mind with landlord home emergency cover

The truth is, you never know when a home emergency is going to happen and as a good landlord, you want to be there to support your tenants and provide the help they need quickly. Taking out landlord home emergency cover or landlord emergency cover for flats will allow you to do this, without having to worry about your bank balance taking a hit. Choose an appropriate care plan and benefit from getting the expert help you need to save your property from extensive damage and maintain a comfortable and functional home for your tenants to live in.

Hometree landlord maintenance plans

Here at Hometree, we offer extensive landlord boiler cover, heating and home care packages for landlords. They’re not your typical insurance policies. Instead, they’re non-insured maintenance plans that include annual service visits.

If you are interested in finding out more, get a quote online or give our friendly team a call on 0800 368 9881.

Never forget your LGSR again

Your Landlord Gas Safety Certificate and annual boiler service all included with our cover plans for Landlords

Get A Quote
Cover Product - Home Image

You may also like


Roof damage: What to do next

Learn more

Which type of roof do you have?

Learn more

What is home emergency cover

Learn more