Skip to Main Content

Boiler insurance plans

Don’t be left out in the cold if your boiler breaks down. Whether it’s in the deepest depths of winter or a typical British summer, there’s nothing more annoying than being stuck with no hot water or central heating due to a broken boiler.

Your Home


  • Repairs to your gas boiler, flue and controls, including faults that prevent you from controlling the timings or temperature of your boiler
  • Annual boiler service included

Included in these packages...


  • Repairs to the wider central heating system, including radiators, water tanks, pipes and cylinders

Included in these packages...


  • Repairs to your home's plumbing system and the parts of your water supply pipe that you’re responsible for

Included in these packages...

Drains and Waste Pipes

  • Repairs to and unblocking of your home’s drains and waste pipes to restore flow within your property boundary

Included in these packages...



per day

Why Choose Hometree?

Better, cheaper, home cover plans & great customer service.


90% of all emergency call-outs completed within 24 hours. Speak to us day or night.


We’ll never unfairly hike your prices if you haven’t had a call-out. Ever.


No matter the age or model, your boiler is protected. Can't fix it? We’ll give you 15% off a new one.


Switching to Hometree can save you at least 20% on renewal compared to other providers (based on survey of equivalent products from competitors dated 06/05/21)

Boiler Insurance Guide

What is boiler cover?

Boiler insurance, also known as gas boiler insurance (depending on your boiler type), is a policy that protects you should anything go wrong with your boiler, and it covers the cost of repairs and parts should they become faulty. Most boiler insurance comes with annual service included, which is essential for keeping your boiler ticking over.

As well as the standard policy, there are different types of insurance available that also include other levels of protection for your home. All you have to do is decide which policy suits you the best. And if you need a hand choosing, just get in touch and we’ll be happy to talk you through it.

How does it work?

Boiler insurance is designed to keep your boiler and controls protected, but it doesn’t cover your entire central heating system. Central heating cover however, will protect your boiler along with the controls, pipework, hot water cylinder and more. But it’s worth knowing that the majority of central heating claims are because of a broken boiler.

As part of boiler insurance cover, you should have an annual service included as standard. An annual service will check your boiler controls, as well as make sure the inner workings of the boiler are firing correctly and in full working order.

Some boiler insurance plans will only protect boilers up to a certain age, while others will protect boilers of all ages. If your boiler is old, eventually the manufacturer will stop making parts. In which case, some providers will recommend a full boiler replacement.

What does boiler cover include?

If you’re a homeowner or landlord, having boiler insurance cover will not only provide you with peace of mind should your boiler break down, it could also help you save money on call-out fees and repair bills in case of a fault in the near future.

While it’s quite common for your boiler to be covered under a standard manufacturer warranty, you might want to check the terms and conditions of your current warranty. Manufacturer warranties are unlikely to cover the cost of a boiler repair or breakdown if the fault has been caused by physical damage or by another area of your central heating, such as limescale build-up. And since warranties typically don’t cover certain repairs or breakdowns, you’d have to pay for any repairs out of your own pocket, which can easily run into hundreds of pounds. Don’t forget that you’ve still got to add in the cost of your annual service.

Whereas with boiler insurance, you won’t have to worry about forking out for any of that. Not to mention you’ll get repairs to your boiler controls and an annual boiler service, all included within a monthly or annual price. Not bad, hey?

What types of boiler insurance are there?

Different insurance plans are built to make your life as simple as possible. There are typically three three levels of boiler insurance plans designed to protect key areas of the home for both homeowners and landlords.

If you’re a landlord, there are additional services included to help keep you and your properties remain compliant.

Here’s a handy overview of the three levels of boiler and heating insurance cover:

- Boiler cover
Standard boiler insurance cover includes an annual boiler service, along with checks of your flue and controls such as the thermostat or valves. If you’re a landlord you’ll also get a LGSR.

- Heating cover
This covers you for all the standard boiler services, plus you’ll get central heating checks and repairs. Landlords will also receive an LGSR.

- Home cover
Home cover includes everything you get with boiler and heating insurance cover plus plumbing, drains and home electric checks, along with any maintenance that needs to be carried out. Landlords also get an LGSR included.

Whichever level of cover you choose, you may also have the option to add extras to your plans. This could also include Gas Fire Protection offer, which includes an annual gas fire service, so your fire is also totally protected.

Hometree offers a range of insured plans all of which include an annual service visit.

Do I need boiler breakdown cover?

Boiler insurance cover is there for repairing and maintaining your boiler and its controls. Then we have heating cover. This is like boiler cover, but also includes your radiators, cylinders and pipes. Finally, the most comprehensive package that Hometree offer is home cover. If you want to cover your whole heating system, including plumbing, drains and home electrics this product would cover those areas.

I’m a landlord. Do I need cover for my buy-to-let?

To switch your boiler insurance cover from your provider, you can sign up to another in a matter of minutes and you’ll be protected right away – although check the cooling period before you can make a claim.

Also, some providers allow you to delay the start of your protection, and you can often leave your current provider without paying any exit fees – just double check with them first.

Hometree boiler insurance

What cover packages do you provide?

We provide three packages:

- Your Boiler

This is your standard cover plan that includes an annual service of gas boiler, flue and controls. If you’re a landlord, you’ll also get a Landlord Gas Safety Record (LGSR).

- Your Heating

The heating plan includes standard boiler cover, plus central heating checks. Landlords get an LGSR too.

- Your Home

This includes boiler and heating cover, plus plumbing, drains, and home electrics checks and maintenance. Landlords also get an LGSR.

These 12-month cover plans are there to make sure your boiler runs perfectly now and in the future.

How does boiler cover with Hometree work?

There are different boiler cover plans to choose from, based on whether you’re a homeowner or a landlord. This is because there are some services that we provide that apply to both, and others that just apply to landlords.

Legally, landlords need their properties to be gas safe before they can rent them out. Flues need to be checked by a Gas Safe-registered engineer once a year. Once the checks are all done, the landlord is given an LGSR or Gas Safety Certificate, which confirms the property is gas safe. Tenants need to see a copy of this record or certificate, so by going for one of our landlord plans, you’ll be able to have this Gas-Safe proof ready for when they move in.

Our packages for landlords include details of what you need to remain compliant, which makes it easy to cover the essentials.

How do I choose my boiler cover plan?

Are you a homeowner or landlord? Do you want to pay monthly or annually? Do you want to pay a call-out fee? Whatever you need, you can easily see how much you’ll pay and what it includes when you use the sliders at the top of the page.

These sliders let you choose either homeowner or landlord, along with your billing options. We’ve also added call-out fee options here so you can see what your plan looks like before you sign up.

What’s included in each cover plan?

Each boiler cover plan is customised to suit both homeowners and landlords. Here’s a look at how we can help you, whichever type of property owner you are.

I’m a homeowner

If you own your own home, you’ll receive:

- Annual boiler service
Your boiler service includes checks to make sure your boiler and central heating are safe and working properly. If we find any faults during this check, we’ll try to fix them there and then.

We do various assessments as part of the service, including visual checks of your boiler. A gas efficiency and ventilation test is also carried out to make sure everything’s gas safe. We’ll also check your hot water cylinder, see if your radiators need bleeding, and check the pressure’s where it needs to be.

- Gas boiler, flue and controls
If your boiler breaks down, we’ll make sure it’s fixed and running smoothly. All parts and labour are included in our gas boiler cover plans and we cover issues with thermostats, programmers, valves and pumps.

- Gas supply pipe
This connects your gas appliances to your meter.

I’m a landlord

If you’re a landlord, you’ll receive an annual boiler service and repairs on your boiler and controls, plus:

- Inspection of your gas pipework
This is a legal requirement for landlords

- Inspection of your gas meter
This is also a legal requirement for landlords

- Landlord Gas Safety Record (LGSR)
Any gas appliances in a rental property need to be checked each year. Upon inspection, you’ll receive a gas safety certificate (LGSR). All engineers we work with are registered Gas Safe, so you can have added peace of mind with a boiler cover plan from us.

During your annual visit, we’ll check and service your boiler. If we find a fault, we’ll aim to fix it there and then if parts are available, to avoid any future issues.

What else can I get?

As well as all the above, you’ll get even more when you choose our heating or home cover packages.

Upgrading to one of our central heating cover plans will give you a full heating cover package. We’ll safeguard any of your radiators, valves or cylinders that need repairing.

The full home cover plan covers everything listed so far, plus repairs and services for drains and home electrics, along with our range of plumbing cover services:

  • Protection for your plumbing and water supply pipes
  • Unblocking of drains and waste pipes
  • Mains electrical wiring system checks and repairs – for example circuits, fuse boxes, sockets and light fittings

Not included:

  • Bathroom items such as sinks, toilet bowls and other ceramic items
  • Free replacement of your boiler (but we will pay 15% towards it if we install it)
  • Garden items
  • Showers and taps
  • Removal of sludge, scale or repairing damage caused by this
  • Outdoor electrics and heating
  • Accidental damage and faults caused by someone you used for repairs or design faults
  • Household appliances, such as fridges and washing machines

Whichever plan you select, whether you want the basic boiler cover to begin with or you want the full home plan, you can add our Gas Fire Protection offer when you check out. This add-on includes an annual gas fire service, so your fire is totally protected.

Do I need boiler cover?

So, do you need boiler cover? You might already have boiler cover as part of your insurance policy. Plus, the boiler itself might be under warranty.

But, if you’ve got an older boiler that’s been in the home for over 15 years, you might not be able to get it insured or you might be paying a premium to make sure it’s covered. Alternatively, you might find a fault with your boiler that doesn’t fall under the warranty. In these cases, it’s likely you’ll have to pay a lot to get it fixed.

A boiler cover plan protects you against all breakdowns, no matter how old your boiler is and whether it’s in warranty or not. This applies to our standard boiler cover packages as well as our full boiler, heating and plumbing cover options.

For homeowners, this adds an extra level of security, and for landlords, it’s another layer of cover if something goes wrong while your tenants are in the property. We want to give you added peace of mind, and trust that these packages do just that.

Why choose Hometree?

We think you’ll like what we do here at Hometree. Here are just some of the reasons why you should choose us for your boiler cover needs:

- Our no-price-hike promise

We’ll never unfairly raise the price of your boiler cover plan

- We’ll be there in no time

We get to 90% of call-outs within 24 hours, including evenings and weekends

- Rated ‘Excellent’

Our customers on Trustpilot have rated our services as ‘Excellent’

- 24-hour emergency manned phoneline

96% of calls are answered within a minute

- Save up to 25%

…compared to other providers when switching (based on survey of equivalent products from competitors dated 01/12/20)

What if I already have cover a plan somewhere else?

Already have a cover plan in place? No problem! It’s easy to switch from your current provider to Hometree boiler cover.

Call the provider you’re with to cancel and we’ll then get you set up with one of our boiler cover packages in just a few minutes.

Is there a call-out fee?

You can choose a call-out fee, which is the excess under your insurance policy of between £0 and £95. The monthly or annual price you pay varies depending on which call-out fee you select. So, you can choose a contract with no call-out fees and pay a little more for your cover plan or go with a contract that has a lower price but comes with a £60 or £95 call-out fee.

The £60 or £95 call-out fee options mean you will only need to pay once for each fault in the contract period. Our expert engineers will assess whether it’s the same fault.

To see the difference between the three call-out fee options, select each in turn at the top of this page. This gives you a quick view of the price difference between them.

Is my boiler type covered?

Absolutely! All Hometree packages include cover and repairs for gas boilers of all ages and from any manufacturer.

If the boiler is old, we’ll work hard to fix it. However, the manufacturer will eventually stop making spare parts that fit. This means you’ll need to replace it with a new one, but don’t worry. We’ll let you know before you reach that point so that you have plenty of warning.

When do I book my annual boiler service?

To book your annual boiler service, get in touch on 0800 368 9881 and we’ll arrange to come out to you. We’ll book your service on a date that suits you – weekday or weekend, morning, afternoon or evening.

How do I sign up with Hometree?

Sign up by following the steps in the section above or use our ‘Get a Quote’ page to choose the package that works for you. When you’re ready, hit the ‘Buy Now’ button.

You can also request a call-back or give us a call on 0800 368 9881 and one of our experienced team will be happy to help.