Skip to Main Content
  1. Homepage
  2. Help and advice
  3. Cover
  4. Boiler cover

Boiler cover


Is your boiler on the blink? Maybe your heating isn’t up to scratch and you want to get it sorted.

Whether you’re trying to get a fault fixed or you want to protect your heating system from anything that happens in the future, you can enjoy added peace of mind by taking out boiler and central heating cover.

What is boiler cover?

Boiler cover is a policy that protects you if things go wrong with your boiler. Entry-level policies cover the basics, such as the cost of calling out a Gas Safe-registered engineer and their labour, as well as any replacement parts that are needed to get the problem sorted. You won’t have to pay for any of this as your policy covers you.

You might hear this referred to as boiler breakdown cover or gas boiler cover, but they all refer to the same thing and include the same services.
As well as the standard policy, there are different types of cover available that also include boiler servicing and other levels of protection for the home.

How does it work?

If you have boiler cover, you’ll pay a set amount either monthly or annually, depending on the payment plan you’ve chosen. Like any other type of cover, the policy you’ve selected might work in different ways and include different things.

For instance, you might have to wait before you can make a claim, meaning you need to hold off before you can call out an engineer. Or your policy might include a limit for the number of call-outs you can make in a year.

Important Information

Some providers offer insured plans to look after your Boiler and Heating and other home services like plumbing, drains and electrics, whereas other providers offer non-insured plans. An insured plan will be underwritten by an insurer and also regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Non-insured plans are not backed by an insurer and are not regulated by the FCA. Often non-insured or maintenance plans include an annual service of the equipment covered, whereas these may or may not be included in insured plans.

Hometree offers a range of non-insured maintenance "care" plans all of which include an annual service visit.

What does boiler cover include?

All boiler cover and service options are designed to protect key areas of the home. They’re tailored for both homeowners and landlords, and include additional services to help keep landlords compliant.

Here’s an overview of the three levels of boiler and central heating cover you'll typically find:

- Boiler cover

Standard boiler cover includes an annual service of your boiler, along with checks of your flue and controls, such as the thermostat or valves. Are you a landlord? You’ll also get a Landlord Gas Safety Record (LGSR).

- Heating cover

This covers you for all the standard boiler services, plus you’ll get central heating checks and we’ll arrange any repairs that are needed. With this cover, landlords get an LGSR.

- Home cover

Home cover includes everything you get with your boiler and heating cover, plus plumbing, drains, and home electrics checks, along with any maintenance that needs to be carried out. Landlords also get an LGSR.

Whichever level of cover you choose, you can also add add-ons such as Gas Fire Protection. This includes an annual gas fire service, so your fire is also totally protected.

What type of cover should I choose?

So, how do you find the policy that is the best fit for you? To decide, it’s worth considering what you think needs to be protected. Boiler cover is there for repairing and maintaining your boiler and the controls, while our heating cover protects your boiler and controls, along with radiators, cylinders, or valves that need repairing.

Weigh up what you think needs to be protected and see which plan could work for you. It’s worth remembering that if you choose heating or home cover, you’ll get the boiler cover as part of your policy.

Do I need boiler breakdown cover?

If you own your home or you’re a landlord with a rental property, you can cover your boiler and heating system to avoid being hit with a large bill if anything goes wrong.

This type of cover might not be for everyone, but it could be useful if:

  • Your boiler is not already protected under your home insurance.
  • The boiler is more than 15 years old and you’re struggling to get it insured or you’re already paying a premium for this older model.
  • There’s a fault with the boiler that doesn’t fall under your standard manufacturer warranty.

Boiler breakdown cover protects you from all breakdowns, no matter how old it is or what the fault is. It’s designed to help you avoid being caught out, while saving you money in the long run.

I’m a landlord. Do I need cover for my buy-to-let?

As a landlord, you’ll know that the boiler in your rental property is your responsibility. You’ll need to pay for any repairs it needs, along with the call-out fee and labour costs for an engineer. Unless you already have boiler cover in place as part of any landlord insurance policy you’ve taken out, the boiler might not be covered.

Landlord boiler cover takes all the stress out of any issues that come up. Breakdowns are sorted without you having to search for local engineers or worry about finding the money to pay for expensive repairs.

Plus, if you take out a policy, whether that’s the standard boiler cover or full home boiler and heating cover, you’ll get an LGSR as part of your annual service.

Why is boiler and heating cover important?

There are a few reasons why this type of cover could be ideal:

  • It gives added peace of mind, especially if your boiler is older and more likely to break down.
  • There is less risk of you living in a cold property while you wait for someone to come to repair the heating.
  • You can save on paying for unexpected repairs as your policy will cover you.
  • Depending on the level of cover you choose, you’ll be protected if you have plumbing issues, a faulty fuse box, or your drains are blocked, along with central heating and standard boiler cover.

Will I need to pay an excess every time I need a repair?

The fee doesn’t apply every time, but it depends on the fee amount you’ve decided to pay. If you’ve decided to go with a higher excess, you’ll pay for each engineer visit, or once for each fault in the contract period. So, if, for example, your pump fails once and you pay the excess, you won’t need to pay a second time if your pump fails again within the same contract year.

Will I pay excess for my annual service?

In most cases, your annual service should be included as part of your policy.

Protect your home with Hometree boiler, heating and home care plans

My boiler’s broken! What do I do now?

Call our 24/7 emergency number on 0800 368 9881 and we’ll send an engineer out to you within 24 hours. We’ll come out at a time the works for you – whether that’s during weekdays, weekends, or evenings, we’ll be there to help.

How do I book my annual boiler service?

Get in touch on 0800 368 9881 and we’ll arrange to come out to you. We’ll book a date that suits you – weekday or weekend, morning, afternoon or evening.

How do I sign up with Hometree?

There are a few ways to get boiler breakdown protection with Hometree. You can use our ‘Get a Quote’ page to choose the level of protection that suits you and when you’re ready, select the the ‘Buy Now’ button.

Want to talk through your options in detail? You can request a call-back or give us a ring on 0800 368 9881 and we’ll be happy to talk to you about the protection that could be the best fit.

You may also like


What is a boiler service?

Learn more

What is central heating cover?

Learn more

What is combi boiler cover?

Learn more