Home / Blog

What is a Gas Safety Certificate?

Wondering what a gas safety certificate is and whether you need one? Well, you’ve come to the right place!

In the UK, if you rent out your property, you are required by law to have a valid gas safety certificate. The law we’re referring to is the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, which also states that landlords must have annual checks carried out on all of the gas appliances, fittings and flues in their properties to make sure they’re safe.

The gas certificate goes by several different names. Some companies may call it an LGSR, which stands for Landlord Gas Safety Record. In the trade, it’s also referred to as the CP12 certificate (CORGI Proforma 12). This dates back to when CORGI was the official body for gas safety in the UK. It is now Gas Safe, hence why the certificate is now more commonly called the gas safety certificate or something similar. Whatever you choose to call it, it’s important to know if you need one, what it should include and how you can get one. Luckily for you, we have the answers.

Who needs a gas safety certificate?

Homeowners – If you own the property you live in, then you do not require a gas certificate by law. There’s no such thing as an official homeowner gas safety certificate. We would, however, recommend having annual checks carried out on any gas appliances and pipework in your property, to make sure they’re working safely and efficiently. This will give you peace of mind that the people living in your home are safe and that your appliances aren’t costing you more than they should.

If you like, you can always ask the Gas Safe registered engineer that inspects your appliances or carries out remedial work, to provide documentation for your records. This may be useful if you choose to sell your property in the future.

Landlords – It is your responsibility as a landlord to ensure your property is safe for tenants to live in. You will need to get an LGSR certificate to prove that the gas appliances, flues and related pipework in your property have been checked and are deemed safe. You must organise for a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your appliances at least every 12 months, to keep your gas safety record up to date.

Gas safety certificate explained

Now you understand the purpose of a gas certificate and know who needs one, we can move on to explaining what it should detail. A typical gas safety certificate will tell you:

  • What appliances/pipework have been tested and where they’re located
  • The results of the safety checks carried out on the appliances/pipework
  • Any safety issues identified
  • Any remedial work or action required
  • Details of the landlord/letting agency and property address
  • Details of the Gas Safe engineer who did the inspection, the date of the check and their signature

It’s worth bearing in mind that there isn’t a standard certificate issued by the Gas Safe Register, so documentation will vary from one company to the next. As long as it details the information above and can be produced in hard copy, then it will be valid.

Who can carry out the gas safety certificate checks?

We’ve mentioned it throughout this article but just to reiterate, only gas engineers registered with Gas Safe can legally carry out annual gas safety inspections and issue LGSR certificates.

It’s always a good idea to check an engineer is Gas Safe registered before you hire them. You can do this by checking the online register or asking to see their Gas Safe register certificate. This is a little ID card that should display the following:

  • Gas engineer’s photo
  • Start and expiry dates
  • Gas Safe Register licence number
  • Security hologram
  • Business the engineer is employed by

On the back of the card, you will also be able to check what areas of gas the engineer is qualified in and whether their qualifications are up to date.

Don’t be afraid to ask to see your engineer’s ID card. Gas safety is a very important issue and you want to make sure checks are being carried out by someone that is capable of doing them properly and can provide legal documentation. A reputable Gas Safe engineer will be more than happy to show you their ID.

Can I get a copy of my gas safe certificate?

Landlords – You should receive a copy of your gas safe certificate once the checks have been carried out. The gas engineer should talk you through it and explain any follow-up work that is required. If an appliance is thought to be unsafe, they will advise you and your tenants not to use it until it has been properly repaired. It is your responsibility to make sure it remains out-of-use.

You will find that some companies now store LGSR certificates online, rather than handing out paper copies. This is perfectly legal, however, they must be able to issue your gas safe certificate in hard copy, should your tenants or another party (such as the Health and Safety Executive) ask to see one.

If you are the landlord of a shared property i.e. student accommodation, you are legally allowed to distribute the gas safety certificate by displaying it in a communal place in the property that is easy to see. The record must indicate that tenants can request an individual copy and tell them how to access one. You must also tell your tenants when the gas safety certificate has been issued and where it is displayed.

Existing tenants – If you live in a rented property, you are legally entitled to see a copy of the gas certificate. Your landlord must provide you with a copy (either paper or online depending on your preference) within 28 days of the checks being carried out.

New tenants – Looking to move into a rented property? The landlord must issue you with a copy of the gas safety certificate before your moving date.

Get a gas safety certificate hassle-free with Hometree

Save time and money with our comprehensive Landlord cover. We include annual gas safety checks and an LGSR certificate as standard. You’ll also benefit from unlimited call-outs and claims. Visit our Landlord cover page to get a quote or call the Hometree team on 0330 912 4843 to get your questions answered.

We Beat or Match Any Quote

Call 0330 912 4843 and we’ll beat or match any quote.

Serious About Service

24/7 claims support & rated Excellent on Trustpilot

Cover Match Guarantee

Get a £50 gift card if you find something we don’t cover

All Gas Boilers Covered

All makes and models, regardless of age