1. Homepage
  2. Landlords
  3. What is a CP12 Gas Safety Certificate?

What is a CP12 Gas Safety Certificate?


When it comes to gas safety, landlords need to be clued up. Don’t panic – we’re not asking you to fix a boiler! You simply need to make sure you have a valid gas safety certificate for each of your rented properties. Having a CP12 certificate is a legal requirement, so it’s a good idea to know a little bit about it. Luckily for you, we have all the info you need on the gas safety certificate CP12.

Gas CP12 or Gas Safety certificate? What is a CP12 called?

In the UK, the gas installation certificate goes by a lot of different names. You may hear some people refer to it as a CP12 or Landlord Gas Safety certificate. Either way, they’re talking about the same document.

CP12 is an abbreviation of CORGI Proforma 12. Between 1991 and 2009, CORGI (Council for Registered Gas Installers) operated as the official regulatory body for UK gas safety. However, on 1st April 2009, the Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI and the document adopted other more generic names, such as the Landlord Gas Safety Certificate and Gas Safety Record.

You’ll probably find that older gas engineers still call it the CP12, whereas those more recently qualified will call it the Landlord Gas Safety certificate.

What is a gas safety certificate?

A CP12 certificate is issued to prove that a landlord has met their legal obligation to have safety checks carried out on all of the gas equipment in their rented property. If poorly installed and maintained, gas appliances can be dangerous, which is why it’s so important a qualified engineer checks them at least annually. Failing to get a CP12 certificate for your rented property could result in a hefty fine and up to 6 month’s jail time.

Gas safety checks should be carried out on any boilers, ovens, pipework, flues, chimneys and other fixtures and fittings that burn or exhaust gas. Your gas engineer will check:

  • Appliances are working at the correct pressure
  • Appliances are burning gas properly
  • There’s adequate air supply to appliances
  • Flues and chimneys are clear so gases and fumes can be safely discharged
  • Safety devices on appliances are working as they should

Once the inspection has been carried out, they will issue your CP12 certificate, which will contain the following information:

  • Name, ID number and signature of the Gas Safe registered engineer
  • Date of gas safety inspection
  • Name and address of the landlord or letting agent (if it’s a managed property)
  • Address of the property
  • Location and info about each of the gas appliances and flues
  • Any problems and the follow-up action required to resolve them
  • Confirmation from the engineer that the check was completed properly, in compliance with legislation
  • Date of the next scheduled gas safety check (usually 12 months from the date of issue)

If you have new tenants moving into a property, it’s recommended that you book a gas safety check before they do so. New tenants are entitled to receive a copy of the CP12 gas certificate before they move in. You are also required to provide a copy of the gas safety certificate for existing tenants, within 28 days of its issue.

Never forget your LGSR again

Your Landlord Gas Safety Certificate and annual boiler service all included with our cover plans for Landlords

How long does a gas safety check take?

Gas safety checks usually take between 20 and 30 minutes to complete. The more gas appliances that need checking, the longer it’ll take. If any urgent repairs are required, the gas safety check may also take a little longer.

You can keep the time it takes to a minimum by ensuring your gas engineer will have free access to all of the gas appliances in the property. It’s also a good idea to make sure there is enough credit on any prepayment gas meters.

What happens if there are gas safety issues?

If there are any problems with your gas appliances, your gas engineer will advise you on the repairs required to make them safe again. If repairs can’t be carried out straight away, it is your responsibility to ensure the appliances remain out of use.

Keep documentation of any follow-up action and work carried on your gas appliances with your gas safety certificate, so you have a complete record. Gas safety records should be kept for a minimum of 2 years.

Who can issue a gas safety certificate?

Only engineers registered with Gas Safe can carry out gas safety inspections and issue CP12 certificates. You can check that a gas engineer is registered by searching for them on the Gas Safe website. They should also have a Gas Safe registration card, which you can ask to see. On the back, it will tell you which areas of gas they’re qualified to work in.

Gas installation certificate costs

Gas safety installation certificates vary from one company to the next and so does the cost of inspections. Prices can range from as little as £35 to around £150. Unfortunately, the Gas Safe Register can’t control how much is charged, so the Health and Safety Executive recommends you obtain quotes from at least three engineers, before hiring one. This should ensure you get a fair price.

Keep in mind that the quote you are given is unlikely to include repairs that need to be made as a result of any issues found in your gas safety inspection.

Save money on your CP12 certificate with Hometree

Hometree offers bespoke cover for landlords to make letting out your properties hassle-free. Our landlord care packages include your annual boiler and gas appliance inspections, along with the issuing of your Landlord gas safety certificate. We’ll organise for one of our Gas Safe registered to carry out your inspection at a time that’s convenient for you.

Worried about expensive repair costs? It’s yet another good reason to take out landlord cover. Our packages include repairs to your gas boiler, flue and controls, as well as your wider central heating system, including radiators, water tanks, pipes and cylinders. Prices start from as little as £17.50 a month. For more information visit our landlord cover page or call us on 0330 912 4843 to speak to a member of our team.

Never forget your CP12 Record again

Your CP12 Record and annual boiler service all included with our cover plans for Landlords

You may also like

What is landlord boiler cover?

What is a Landlord Gas Safety Record (LGSR)?

What to do when your boiler starts leaking