Home / Blog

What is central heating cover?

What is central heating cover, you ask? Unlike boiler cover, central heating cover includes your boiler, controls, and pipework. It also protects your hot water cylinder and anything else that is connected to your boiler.

Additionally, this cover is a form of central heating insurance that includes engineer call outs and labour, as well as parts needed to resolve any issues with your heating. Therefore, with this type of plan, the essentials are covered.

Do I need central heating cover?

Do you have a boiler warranty and are you wondering whether you will also need cover for your boiler? It’s important to understand the distinction between the two so that you know when your boiler is protected.

Your boiler’s manufacturer warranty is only there in case the boiler runs into a fault or breaks down within a certain number of years, but with more terms and conditions applied.

For example, if your boiler breaks down due to issues found in other areas of your central heating system, this may not be covered under your warranty. With that in mind, you’d have to potentially pay a large sum of money to repair your boiler, not to mention paying extra for your annual service visit.

Boiler cover ensures that you are protected against all boiler faults and breakdowns, without the need to pay for an annual boiler service visit as that’s included. You’ll also get access to a 24/7 helpline, unlimited call outs, and the added bonus of repairs to your controls should they develop a fault.

Central heating vs boiler cover

Boiler cover is different to central heating cover, however. It’s quite common for people to be confused between the two and there are some key differences. The main difference is that boiler cover is just for your boiler and boiler controls, and central heating cover is designed for your entire central heating system, covering your pipework, cylinder, boiler and controls.

Important Information

Some providers offer insured plans to look after your Boiler and Heating and other home services like plumbing, drains and electrics, whereas other providers offer non-insured plans. An insured plan will be underwritten by an insurer and also regulated by the [Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)](https://www.fca.org.uk/). Non-insured plans are not backed by an insurer and are not regulated by the FCA. Often non-insured or maintenance plans include an annual service of the equipment covered, whereas these may or may not be included in insured plans.

What central heating cover do I need?

If you have a standard gas boiler as part of your central heating system, you should look out for gas central heating cover that includes all or some of the following criteria:

  • Annual boiler service to keep everything in check
  • A number or unlimited numbers of claims that can be made in a year
  • Repairs to your boiler and central heating system (including parts and labour) should a fault or breakdown occur
  • Access to a 24/7 helpline

It’s important to consider the number of call outs that are covered in your plan in a year. Some policies have a limited number of call outs that can be made for repairs and breakdowns, so make sure to check the terms and conditions of your gas central heating cover maintenance plan.

What is an annual service visit?

For the boiler part of your central heating cover, an annual service is essential to keep your boiler running correctly. It also identifies any issues before they lead to a breakdown.

An annual service is only needed once a year by a Gas Safe engineer. During the boiler service, the engineer will run a visual check of the boiler and controls, and inspect the internal components of the boiler to ensure it’s firing correctly and not in poor condition.

If you’re looking to have your boiler serviced annually, most boiler and central heating cover packages come with an annual service for free.

What is excess? And do I have to pay for it?

An excess is an extra cost that you may have to pay on top of your monthly cover costs to pay for an engineer to visit your home and repair a fault. Some central heating cover packages will include excess as part of their monthly costs. Excess can range in price from £30 to £50.

Can I switch to a different cover provider?

Switching is a lot more straightforward than you may think. Plus, you don’t need to stick with the same provider every year.

You could make a saving by switching, but it’s important to check the terms and conditions to see if you’ll be stung by a cancellation fee. To avoid a cancellation fee, you can wait until your contract expires, which is usually 12 months from the date you signed up for the plan. Otherwise, to opt out immediately, you can pay the cancellation fee and spread your wings.

We Beat or Match Any Quote

Call 0330 912 4843 and we’ll beat or match any quote.

Serious About Service

24/7 claims support & rated Excellent on Trustpilot

Cover Match Guarantee

Get a £50 gift card if you find something we don’t cover

All Gas Boilers Covered

All makes and models, regardless of age