Skip to Main Content
  1. Homepage
  2. Help and advice
  3. Cover
  4. What is plumbing and drainage cover?

What is plumbing and drainage cover?


Worried about blocked drains? Maybe you should consider plumbing and drainage cover. We’re here to take you through how to avoid blocked drains, what to do if you are experiencing issues, and why drain cover may be exactly what you need for your peace of mind.

As a general rule of thumb, drainage cover is a form of insurance that covers your drains should they become blocked or damaged. Drain cover will include clearing blocked drains where they have become physically damaged. Drain insurance should also include some cover for emergency repairs should damage occur in underground drains. However, it’s worth double checking what limits and exclusions there are, as well as how many plumber/engineer call outs are included in a year.

Do I need drain cover? Is plumbing and drainage cover worth it?

If you’re a homeowner or landlord with a detached, semi-detached or terraced house, you’re responsible for the repair and maintenance of your drains. In the case where the drain is a lateral drain (commonly found in flats), you won’t be responsible as its the building managers duty to maintain the drain as this is shared amongst multiple homes. Until October 2011, it was the joint responsibility of multiple flats or houses to maintain lateral drains.

As mentioned above, if you are a homeowner or landlord, it's your responsibility to maintain the drains. Therefore, taking out cover is a no-brainer to keep yourself covered, especially if your drain were to become blocked or damaged suddenly. If you do not have protection in place, it’s likely that you’ll have to pay a large sum of money to cover the cost of repairs, and an engineer or plumber to fix the issue.

Boiler and drain cover is your go-to for peace of mind if you’re looking to have your boiler and central heating system covered while protecting yourself against any drain blockages as well.

Important Information

Some providers offer insured plans to look after your Boiler and Heating and other home services like plumbing, drains and electrics, whereas other providers offer non-insured plans. An insured plan will be underwritten by an insurer and also regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Non-insured plans are not backed by an insurer and are not regulated by the FCA. Often non-insured or maintenance plans include an annual service of the equipment covered, whereas these may or may not be included in insured plans.

All-inclusive cover plans

Enjoy peace of mind with our comprehensive boiler, heating and home cover plans

Get A Quote
Cover Product - Home Image

Difference between a drain and a sewer

It’s quite common for people to confuse the two, especially when researching plumbing and drainage insurance cover. A drain is a pipe that takes sewage (also known as grey water) away from a building. The sewage is then fed from the drain into the sewer. A sewer, however, is a pipe that takes sewage or water away from more than one property at a time.

Common drainage problems and how to solve them

If your drains become blocked regularly, there are a few common reasons as to why that might be happening. The first reason is likely to be fat, oil or leftover food that turns into a solid as it cools. This is often caused by homeowners and tenants pouring away oil or discarding food into their sink while washing up. The worst time for this to happen is in the middle of winter where temperatures dramatically decrease and drains are more at risk of developing blockages. If you have a lot of leftover food or washing up pots and pans with a lot of excess oil and fat, you should scrape this off into a bin.

Another common reason for drains to become blocked is baby wipes (even if they are described as “flushable”). It’s important to note that while these products may not cause issues for your home’s drains, they can cause wider problems for public sewers as they can mass together and create “bergs”. Bergs are large masses of debris, fat, and discarded items typically found in public sewers. To avoid causing more extensive damage, you should discard of all wipes and hygiene products into a general waste bin.

The last reason for drainage problems can also be tree roots growing through fractured drains. Roots grow out once they sense a source of moisture and nutrients. In the case of damaged or fractured drains, it’s common for tree roots to grow out towards the drain. If the growth of tree roots has damaged a drain, they will generally need to be replaced to restore integrity to the pipework, as well as a liner to prevent any future damage from root growth.

Ready to sign up to our home cover?

Enjoy peace of mind with our comprehensive boiler, heating and home cover plans!

Get A Quote
Cover Product - Home Image

You may also like


What is central heating cover?

Learn more

What is boiler cover?

Learn more

What is boiler breakdown cover?

Learn more